There is significant overlap between the target content for the York Digital Library and LUDOS.
Both the LUDOS and York Digital Library act as a complement to Leeds' and York's VLE systems and to the shared (Leeds, Sheffield, York) repository for research outputs - White Rose Research Online (EPrints software).
Repository development can be a lonely business sometimes! It's good to get in touch with other people who are working through very similar issues. Some of the common ground identified at the meeting:
- access control : for legal reasons - but also may wish to restrict access to the metadata of non OA items in some cases.
- metadata - York is investigating VRA Core for images; Leeds decided against this standard, preferring MODS because it enables nested relationships. Potentially, much fruitful sharing of exerience to be had here.
- data input - repository workflows need to be able to cater for expert and non-expert inputters
- authentication - we need it!
- relationships between digital objects
- to customise or not to customise? - software may be flexible enough to allow lots of tailoring - but future migration should always be considered
- ingestion of really big files! Should large files be referenced elsewhere e.g. vidoes might live on a streaming server.
- multiple copies of files - if usage data is important, how to we aggregate statistics?
- trust and creditials between repository systems - for sharing data
- metasearch tools from OPAC - various tools were discussed. York and Leeds have similar interests - it would be very useful to share data on this.
- how comprehensive should metasearching be?
- embedded (human!) behaviour - how to change it?
- desktop deposit - what will it look like and is mediation always necessary?
York: Julie Allinson, Peri Stracchino, Ellizabeth Harbord, Yankui Feng, Matthew Herring, Lucy Jaques
Leeds: Jonathan Ainsworth, Michael Emly, John Salter
White Rose: Rachel Proudfoot, Beccy Shipman, John Salter, Lucy Jaques
This was a useful meeting - and raised lots of issues which there was not time to address in great detail on the day. It was agreed to have another exchange meeting in about 6 months' time.